Keywords to optimize the article for: cannabis brownies, weed brownies, brownie mix, cannabis oil, 420 party ideas, cannabis cooking, potent brownies, homemade brownies, national brownie day, marijuana brownie recipe
Cannabis is becoming more and more accepted in certain parts of the country, with some states decriminalizing its use. Even Jane Fonda is a weed ambassador now!
As a result, many people have been more interested in experimenting with cannabis-infused edibles.
We have taken the process of cannabis cooking and made it easy. You will be creating simple (but fun) party food to serve at your next 420 celebration! National Brownie Day anyone?
In this blog post, we’ll teach you how to make cannabis brownies using cannabutter (cannabis-infused butter), which you can easily buy from a dispensary or make yourself (follow our instructions below!).
We’ll also touch on decarbing your cannabis bud and infusing cannabis oil.
- Cannabis butter: You will need 1/2 cup of cannabutter if you’re going to be following our recipe below.
- Brownie mix: Feel free to cheat and use a brownie mix. Replace 1/4 cup of the oil with cannaoil and follow the rest of the instructions on the box!
- Eggs: If you don’t eat eggs or want another option, try replacing them with apple sauce instead! It helps bind everything together and adds moisture too so it won’t dry out!
To prepare these potent brownies, you will need the following equipment:
- Electric mixer
- Baking tray
- Spatula, or a spoon and some elbow grease if all else fails
- A couple of oven mitts, because it gets hot in there!
Be sure to watch that your homemade brownies don’t burn before the prescribed time.
If using parchment paper for lining instead of oiling the pan (see below), turn on your broiler after baking to brown tops and sides slightly more than usual.
Decarb Your Cannabis
The first step to making brownies, of course, is to decarboxylate your cannabis. Decarboxylation is the process of heating cannabis to activate THC so it can be ingested and work its magic.
Don’t be put off by the long scientific word. It’s an easy process and can be done with an oven or a grill. You’ll need about an hour at 240 degrees Fahrenheit (115 Celsius) before you can begin mixing up your brownie batter.
You’ll need to line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Next carefully lay your ground bud (about 1/2 ounce) onto the tray, making sure to give get a nice even spread. Don’t make your bud too fine otherwise, you won’t be able to strain it out of the oil!
Pop it in the oven for 20 minutes if it’s a cheap weed, and 45 minutes if it’s high-grade weed. You will need about an hour if the MJ was recently harvested or is wet.
Check it every ten minutes because you do not want it to burn!
Infuse Your Fat
Infusing your fat allows you to use the full potency of your cannabis in all its glory, without having to worry about smoking or vaping. It’s a great way to get a stronger high without getting too much of an unwanted buzz.
If you’re using oil, place about 1 1/4 cups coconut or olive oil on the top of a double boiler (or a tea kettle) on low heat. Add decarbed cannabis bud directly into the oil.
Slowly simmer for about two hours at low heat until the oil has taken on the green color from the weed. It should also be visibly darker than before you started infusing it with THC.
If you’re using butter, place about 8 ounces melted butter, 1/5 ounce bud, and 1 1/2 cups water in a pot and bring it to a rolling boil.
Let it simmer slowly, making sure to top the pot up with water as needed. After about an hour you can remove it from the heat and allow it all to cool.
When the butter has set, you can remove it from the water. You now have cannabutter that you can use just as you would normal butter!
Once all that goodness has been extracted from your marijuana and infused into your fat, strain out any bits or chunks so they don’t end up ruining your brownie mix later!
After straining out all those nasty little granules of plant matter, you can use your oil or butter in whichever marijuana brownie recipe you feel comfortable with!
Making Cannabis Brownies From Scratch
- I/2 cup melted cannabutter
- 1/2 cup melted plain butter
- 2 cups sugar (we used a combination of 1 cup white / 1 cup brown)
- 1 half-cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the melted butters, sugar, and cocoa.
- Add the vanilla essence and stir.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients into the butter mixture.
- Mix until just combined.
- Spread your mixture into a 9×9 square pan lined with parchment paper (this will keep it from sticking to your pan).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center and the edges are starting to turn golden brown.*
*If desired, you can drizzle some melted peanut butter over the top when it’s still warm for extra delicious weed brownies! You can also try it with a chocolate ganache topping. Or top with melted chocolate from Kiva!
420 Party Ideas and Tips
- Have a remedy station:
Make sure to include some CBD oil or tincture for guests who may struggle with anxiety.
It is really important that people are given the option of drinking water, so provide some. You can use a dispenser with some cucumber and lemon. Or try throwing a few fresh berries into it with lots of ice.
- Create a comfortable chill spot:
Make sure to provide lots of cozy spaces for guests to relax if they need to. Your guests’ happiness and good vibes are the most important ingredients for a fun time!
Before You Start Feeling High
Be sure to let your guests know that you’re serving up some cannabis brownies as well. This way, they can more accurately differentiate the effects of any alcohol and the edibles.
All in all, remember to have fun and just chill!