SOL Global Produces Positive Net Gains for the Third Quarter Despite Weak Markets
TORONTO–(BUSINESS WIRE)–SOL Global Investments Corp. (“SOL Global” or the “Company“) (CSE: SOL) (OTCPK: SOLCF) (Frankfurt: 9SB) is pleased to present its investors with select unaudited financial results and highlights for the three and nine-month period ended August 31, 2021.
All figures in this press release are in Canadian dollars, unless otherwise indicated.
Unaudited Nine-Month Period Ended Results
- For the nine-months ended August 31, 2021, the Company recorded a positive net income of $210.4 million VS nine-months ended August 31, 2020, of $47.9 million. This represents a favourable change of $160.7 million.
- For the three-months ended August 31, 2021, the Company recorded a loss of $(62.4) million VS income for the three-months ended August 31, 2020, of $43.7 million. This represents a negative change of $106.1 million. This is due to the one-time expense related to the settlement agreement with the Company’s former lender of $68.5 million.
- Total gain from investments totalled $347.4 million for the nine-months ended August 31, 2021, compared to $90.3 million for the nine-months ended August 31, 2020. This represents a favourable change of $257.1 million between periods.
- Total gain from investments for the three-months ended August 31, 2021, totalled $12.5 million, compared to $60.3 million for the three-months ended August 31, 2020. This represents a negative change of $47.8 million between periods. This is due to overall weakness in the market.
- The net asset value per share is equal to $6.44 at August 31, 2021 VS $2.79 at August 31, 2020, representing an increase of 131% for the twelve month period. The net asset value per share at May 31, 2021 was $7.43, representing a decrease of 13% for the three month period.
- Adjusting for the one-time expense related to the settlement agreement with the Company’s former lender, net asset value per share at August 31, 2021, was $7.63, representing an adjusted increase of 3% and 173% for the three and twelve-month periods respectively.
- SOL Global has diversified and rebalanced a portion of its portfolio following liquidity events in its largest core assets. In doing so, it has managed to create incredible value for shareholders by investing in new and exciting opportunities in both the public and private markets. The Company has been effective in managing its portfolio and identifying those opportunities that continue to show strong growth both within and outside of the cannabis industry.
- On September 13, 2021, SOL Global announced the launch of its new electric vehicle and green technology focused investment company, House of Lithium. Through this new entity, SOL Global shareholders will benefit from opportunities in new high growth sectors.
“Managing small cap and cannabis investments from the long side during third quarter was like playing tag in a mine field,” said Andy DeFrancesco, SOL Global’s Chairman and CEO.
“Even positive news saw stock prices continue to drop. Once again my team battled through and we outperformed in our sectors. We remain extremely confident in our underlying holdings and will not transact from the pressures of short term price fluctuations. We will stick to our 2 to 5 year time horizons on core positions which allow for smaller companies to properly execute on the business models we are backing. I’m proud and grateful to be surrounded by an awesome team and excited for what the next few quarters will bring to SOL Global’s stockholders and partners.”
- In August 2021, SOL Global participated in a private placement for US$20 million in Common C Holdings LP, a leading Michigan-based partnership that provides support services for state-compliant cannabis operators.
- In Q3 2021, SOL Global participated in a private placement for UK-based electric truck company, Tevva Motors Inc. The Company invested US$12.5 million and subsequent to the quarter end invested an additional US$2 million under the same terms.
- SOL Global participated in a private placement for US$2.5 million in the series B-1 round for cutting edge 3D printing company, Arevo Inc. The round was led by Khosla Ventures and included participation from Founders Fund.
- On July 15, 2021, SOL Global purchased convertible debentures from Jones Soda Co. (OTCQB:JSDA) for US$2 million. The Company also increased its ownership to 11.9% of the partially diluted shares outstanding.
- On July 20, 2021, SOL Global invested US$2.5 million in the Series A financing of CITYROW Holdings Inc.
- Average sales of Verano Holdings LLC (CSE:VRNO) (OTCQX:VRNOF) were done at $20.61, a significant premium to today’s trading range.
The financial results reported in this press release are based on the unaudited consolidated interim financial statements of SOL Global and related management’s discussion and analysis (“MD&A”) for the three and nine-month period ended August 31, 2021, both of which are available under the Company’s profile on SEDAR at www.sedar.com. All financial results contained in this press release are qualified in their entirety with reference to such financial statements and MD&A.
About SOL Global Investments Corp.:
SOL Global is a diversified investment and private equity holding company engaged in the small and mid-cap sectors. The Company’s investment partnerships range from minority positions to large strategic holdings with active advisory mandates. The Company’s seven primary business segments include Retail, Agriculture, QSR & Hospitality, Media Technology & Gaming, Clean Energy and New Age Wellness.
Non-IFRS Financial Measures
This press release includes references to net asset value, which is a financial measure that does not have a standardized meaning prescribed by IFRS. Net asset value is calculated as the value of total assets less the value of total liabilities at a specific date. The Company believes this non-IFRS measure does not only provide management with comparable financial data for internal financial analysis but also provides meaningful supplemental information to investors. In particular, management believes this financial measure can provide information useful to its shareholders in understanding the performance of the Company and may assist in the evaluation of its business relative to that of its peers. Investors are cautioned that this non-IFRS measure should not be construed as an alternative to the measurements calculated in accordance with IFRS as, given the non-standardized meaning, it may not be comparable to similar measures presented by other issuers.
This press release contains “forward-looking information” within the meaning of applicable securities laws. All statements contained herein that are not clearly historical in nature may constitute forward-looking information. In some cases, forward-looking information can be identified by words or phrases such as “may”, “will”, “expect”, “likely”, “should”, “would”, “plan”, “anticipate”, “intend”, “potential”, “proposed”, “estimate”, “believe” or the negative of these terms, or other similar words, expressions and grammatical variations thereof, or statements that certain events or conditions “may” or “will” happen, or by discussions of strategy.
Forward-looking information is based upon certain material assumptions that were applied in drawing a conclusion or making a forecast or projection, including management’s perceptions of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments, as well as other considerations that are believed to be appropriate in the circumstances. While we consider these assumptions to be reasonable based on information currently available to management, there is no assurance that such expectations will prove to be correct.
By their nature, forward-looking information is subject to inherent risks and uncertainties that may be general or specific and which give rise to the possibility that expectations, forecasts, predictions, projections or conclusions will not prove to be accurate, that assumptions may not be correct and that objectives, strategic goals and priorities will not be achieved. A variety of factors, including known and unknown risks, many of which are beyond our control, could cause actual results to differ materially from the forward-looking information in this press release including the inability or failure of the Company’s portfolio companies to execute their business and strategic plans as contemplated or at all, the outcome of litigation involving the Company, changes in national or regional economic, legal, regulatory and competitive conditions and a resurgence in the COVID-19 pandemic.
Other risk factors include: the risks resulting from investing in the U.S. marijuana industry, which may be legal under certain state and local laws but is currently illegal under U.S. federal law; the risks of investing in securities of private companies which may limit the Company’s ability to sell or otherwise liquidate those securities and realize value; reliance on management; the ability of the Company to service its debt; the Company’s ability to obtain additional financing from time to time to pursue its business objectives; competition; litigation; inconsistent public opinion and perception regarding the medical-use and adult-use marijuana industry; and regulatory or political change. Additional risk factors can also be found in the Company’s current Management’s Discussion & Analysis, which has been filed on SEDAR and can be accessed at www.sedar.com. Readers are cautioned to consider these and other factors, uncertainties and potential events carefully and not to put undue reliance on forward-looking information.
The forward-looking information contained herein is made as of the date of this press release and is based on the beliefs, estimates, expectations and opinions of management on the date such forward-looking information is made. The Company undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking information, whether as a result of new information, estimates or opinions, future events or results or otherwise or to explain any material difference between subsequent actual events and such forward-looking information, except as required by applicable law.
SOL Global Investments Corp.
Paul Kania, CFO
Phone: (212) 729-9208
For media inquiries, please contact: